Friday, September 17, 2010

Top 5, Edition 1

One of my favorite movies was on TV tonight and inspired me to write this post.

My Top Five Favorite Films


1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
 

Some may argue that this shouldn't count as each film was released individually and is it's own entity. Well, if that were the case I would only be able to pick two other films so I grouped them together out of convenience. The best movies EVER. The characters are amazing and timeless, the special effects are grand, and the music is perfect. I don't care if you are not a sci-fi/fantasy person. These films should resonate with you as they are about good vs. evil, friendship, love, bravery, sacrifice, and a ton of other wonderful things. And everyone can relate to one of those!

2. WALL-E.


Paul and I saw this in the cinema one of the times I was in England (who can keep track) and I think I enjoyed it more than all the kids in the theatre combined. I love how WALL-E appreciates the little things in life like cockroaches, jewelery boxes, and bubble wrap. I also love how he is assigned to a daunting task of cleaning up the Earth but doesn't complain. I love his curiosity. I love his unconditional love for Eva, even though she tries to blast him with a laser and is very destructive. When Eva locks up after finding the plant, WALL-E's cries for her break my heart. I just love WALL-E.

3. Amelie.


Amelie is the movie that made me appreciate the genre that is foreign films. The film is so colorful and makes me happy. Amelie is another character that appreciates the small things in life, like skipping stones. I also think the French language is beautiful coming from Audrey Tautou. I haven't seen this one in a long time, I am now longing to watch this again, for the 30th time...

4. Shaun of the Dead.


The best comedy ever made! Simon Pegg is genius and since seeing this movie I have seen pretty much everything he's been in. I even have his short lived British sitcom on DVD and I can't even watch it on my TV because the region code is wrong. This is one of those movies you have to watch a gazillion and a half times to really catch and appreciate all the funny comments, gestures, and faces. Somehow the funny parts never get old.

5. Brokeback Mountain.


This was a hard pick because there were about 3 other films that were vying for this #5 spot. But Brokeback won! I recently watched this again and was once again made aware of what a great film it is. Forbidden love. Tale as old as time, but this time done in a new and unconventional way. Heath Ledger is amazing in this film. I know so many cowboys/ranchers/farmers and Heath's mannerisms for this character = perfection. Jack and Ennis....sigh.

The three other films that were on the cusp of being in the list and really make me think about changing this to a Top 8. (Which is cooler anyway, since 8 is the best number.)

Gone with the Wind


I have always loved this story. I read the epic novel in 9th grade and FAILED the book test you had to do on the computer in English class. I was SO DISAPPOINTED that I had read all 800 or however many pages and then within 10 minutes it was all for nothing. However, the characters and story have intrigued me ever since, so I guess it wasn't all for nothing. Scarlett is such a beyotch at times but she is also strong willed, beautiful, and hides her insecurities well with sometimes faked, but mostly real, confidence. I admire her for that. I also admire her for catching the eye of Rhett Butler, who is one sexy gentleman.


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.


I like that I didn't have a clue about what was going on the first time I watched this. Such a quirky film, and the characters played by Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey are so real, even though the story is not. Jim Carrey did a great job in this film, and this film made me decide that  Kate Winslet is my favorite actress.

To Kill a Mockingbird.


This was about to be my #5, but due to Paul S.'s recent post, I felt like a copier for putting it on my list. I know that's stupid, but that's how I am. I love Gregory Peck - Atticus Finch is the dad every child should have, and the father every man should aspire to be. A classic story, and still relevant today.


So there you have it, kids. If anyone would like to comment on their Top 5 favorite films, please do! I would love some ideas for films to watch and it could be a good discussion!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to totally do this on my blog! I loved reading about your favorite movies. I almost teared up reading about WallE! You are so right him and Amelie liking the small stuff in life. I wish I took more time to appreciate the small stuff. Sometimes when I am feeling blue, I try and focus in on a squirrel eating something, or how good a hug feels. Ya know? the little things. It always helps.

    Anyway! I totally love Shaun of the Dead and remember laughing our asses off (me, you, Krisit, at "He's got an arm off" haha!

    I completely agree about Heath, but overall I really didn't like the movie. Maybe it was Jake; maybe I was uncomfortable. Ledger's performance was perfect though. Did he win the academy award? If he didn't I wonder who did? Was it Philip S. Hoffman? If so, then thats fine :) Otherwise I am pissed.

    OK I will quit rambling!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my own list on my older blog! check it out! check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who won that acedemy award for best actor... I think Brokeback won best picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crash won best picture boooo! and I believe PSH won best actor. poops!

    ReplyDelete