Sunday, November 14, 2010

Adventures with Buttermilk

This weekend was very lazy.


Kobe and I could have done a lot of things but truthfully we took lots of naps, watched a lot of SVU and CSI, and of course, spent some time in the kitchen.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to my latest creation:

Buttermilk chocolate cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese frosting.


The recipe to make these bad boys is one I cannot take credit for. The cupcake recipe is from Eat, Live, Run (I love Jenna), and the frosting is from the one and only Martha Stewart.

Here's what I used:


I've never made a cake from scratch before. I've grown up using the box mixes and since they've always turned out perfect and delicious, what was the point of making a cake from scratch? Therefore I am very proud that these turned out perfectly! Moist, cakey, springy, you get the picture.





 
I attempted fancy frosting application by piping it on using a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off. Turns out that without a icing tip, it doesn't work out very well. Good thing they taste good!



It's been hard restraining myself from keeping all these cupcakes for myself, but I'm taking most to work. Ok about half. Maybe 5/12ths. Nevermind!

Since I had so much buttermilk left over, I searched the internet high and low trying to find other things I could make. Funny, I ended up straight back at Jenna's blog.

Enter: Homemade buttermilk biscuits. Perfect right out of the oven, split in two, and filled with a pat of butter.

Here's what I used:


Cut out with a cup.


Not too shabby for the first try!




I'll be taking most of these to work, too. Until then, they are all mine.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! i need to expand my horizons. I specifically, however, refrain from making anything i like due to the alone time I have with it's goodness before I can pawn them off on co-workers :)

    Kristi M

    ReplyDelete