Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Summer Reading List

Currently I'm in the middle of reading Jodi Picoult's book Sing You Home which so far is ok, not as good as some of her past books such as My Sister's Keeper and House Rules. The book is centered around a music therapist who has several personal tragedies that eventually falls in love with another woman, which adds a bunch of other problems in her life. Let's just say that most people she knows aren't that accepting! (I'm getting most of this from the dust jacket description as I'm on page 121 out of 466.)

In the meantime I have a bunch of books on my waiting list at the library and for my kindle. They are....


I actually own this book and have never read it despite it's insane popularity. Well, the movie comes out soon and it looks good, so I need to read the book before I see the film version. Even if I'm the last person in the world to do so, I WILL read this book soon!



I love World War II fiction.  22 Britannia Road is about the women and children who are left behind when their husbands go off to fight in the war. Focusing on one woman and her son in Poland, the book describes the negative effects war can have on individuals and  families alike. I hear this book is really good and I'm excited to start it. It will probably be the book I read next as I have it on two week loan from the library!


A psychological thriller about a woman who has amnesia. Kind of like the film 50 First Dates but not a comedy by any means. I'm excited to read this because I haven't read a page-turner in a while!


This book is described as being a little bit of everything: love story, adventure story, political/ethical story, and self-discovery story. This book is also described as being one of those books that is full of metaphors and symbolism, which sometimes isn't my cup of tea. Depends on how it's done really... The story must still be intriguing. This book is at the top of the New York Times bestseller list, which is usually full of fluff, so it must be ok.


Was it suicide or murder? This is the question Beatrice tries to answer when it comes to Tess, her older sister who has died. An emotional thriller full of suspense. Reviewers tell me to have a box of tissues handy!


The first of two non-fiction books on my list, I feel like I want to read this memoir by Jaycee Dugard primarily to appreciate my own average, uneventful life more. Isn't that the reason why we love to read about other people's tragedies? So we can say, "Wow, glad I didn't have to go through that"? Stories like this make me want to be more thankful for the things in my life that I normally take for granted.


What we're doing to the Earth's oceans makes me want to puke (did you know for every 1 lb of shrimp harvested from the ocean, 4 lbs of other animals die?) so I'm hesitant to read this book. I love seafood and the last book I read about the food industry and ocean fishing made me become a complete vegetarian. But knowledge is power and I want to know what I can do. Support sustainable fishing!

So there you have it. My summer reading list. Now if you excuse me, Paul and I are going to get Chinese takeaway and watch Tangled.

1 comment:

  1. All of these books sound really good, except that I've already read The Help, so thanks for the additions for my list!

    ReplyDelete