Monday, October 25, 2010

Top 5, Edition 2

This time our top five is:  

My Top 5 Favorite Vegetables.

The reasoning behind this is because I just ate a huge stir fry with awesome veggies and I am too lazy/tired to think of something more in depth to write about.

So lets get to it.

1. Parsnips.


These vegetables, which happen to be a relative to carrots, are probably my favorite vegetable of all time. They are albino looking carrots and even taste a little bit like a carrot. They are sweet, a little woody, and taste amazing roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and their other root vegetable friends like potatoes, onions, and yes, carrots. Parsnips' resume: High in potassium and dietary fiber.

2. Carrots.


The thing I love about carrots is their versatility. They can be put into so many dishes and cooked in so many ways. I even love to eat them raw, and if they are organic, unpeeled. I guess you can eat the greens too, but I've never tried that. They are my favorite part of stir fry because they add some sweetness to cut through all the ridiculous heat I usually add. Another cool thing? They come in a bunch of different colors, like purple and white. Carrots' resume: Carrots are high in antioxidants, minerals, and dietary fiber. They are also a high source of B-carotene, which is turned into Vitamin A by our wonderful bodies.

3. Potatoes.


Potatoes get a bad rap. Probably because people eat them baked loaded with a bunch of crap, or cut up into sticks and deep fried with a bunch of salt. I think this wonderful vegetable should be respected, not feared! Did you know China and India grow 1/3 of the worlds' potatoes?! Everyone knows that the Great Irish Famine was caused by potatoes getting a disease and wiping out a lot of the poors' crops. A lot of Irish folks lived off of the potatoes they grew for food and the milk they got from their cows, so when the potatoes were eliminated, well... so were a lot of Irish folks. Potatoes' resume: Potatoes are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, potassium, and a TON of other minerals. They are also high in phytochemicals, but I have no idea what these do, just that they are good for you.

4. Onions.



Some may say I'm crazy but I really do love onions. I even like the raw slices you find in salads and on (veggie) burgers. Living in Idaho I've grown to love and appreciate the Walla Walla onion, which is sweet and grown close by in Washington. One farmer at the farmers' market told me he eats them raw as snacks when he is preparing vegetables for meals. I don't know if I would go that far, but I really enjoy them. Another fun fact about India and China: They are the #1 and #2 onion producers in the world! Onions' resume: Onions are especially important for menopausal women as they have a property that will destroy osteoclasts, preventing the breakdown of bone causing osteoporosis. They are also high in Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and about a gazillion other minerals and vitamins.

5. Peas!



Garden peas in the pod have to be one of my favorite things about summer. I think this comes from when I was growing up I always had (and wanted to) help my grandma in her massive garden and I always was allowed to eat the peas as long as they were ready to be picked. I think this was a small price to pay for digging potatoes, which was no fun. While fresh garden peas are the best, frozen peas come in a close second. Snow and sugar snap peas are pretty great, too. With that being said, I really wouldn't care if canned peas became extinct. Peas' resume: Peas are high in Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin C, Iron, Phosphorus, and Zinc.

Honorable Mentions: Green beans, beets, garlic, and cucumbers.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! And I'm not surprised that corn wasn't even mentioned! I don't really use parsnips but I'll have to start. I agree wholeheartedly about carrots and peas. Onions are a necessity simply for flavor although I don't actually like to eat chunks of onion, so I use really big slices when I cook so I can just take them out afterwards.
    Oh and baked potatoes - yummy! I probably lower the health value of them by adding globs of sour cream, but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I think my top 5 fave veggies would be brussels, sweet potato, peas, carrots, and broccoli. I love all veggies though. Except asparagus. Not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite veggies are baked beans, pizza, honey nut clusters, crab and salsa.

    Just kidding - but I do enjoy onions grilled on a kabob. Peas are cool, too!

    ReplyDelete