Friday, September 24, 2010

Dead Until Dark



I just finished another book! My friend SJ is reading 100 books and in between the "hard" books, she mentioned she was reading a more entertaining book. I have been in the dark about the True Blood phenonemon until a couple months ago and found out this is the book that started the show.

Since I wanted to start watching the show I decided to start reading the series (I think there are 9 in all right now? With more to come?) and this is the first one that introduces the characters.

As you know, if you know anything about True Blood, this book is about vampires. There is a serious vampire craze going on around the world right now but this is no Twilight. This is like Twilight for grown-ups. The writing is (barely) better than the writing of Twilight and it is more adult with the relationships and murders that happen. By no means is this good literature, but it is definitely entertainment.

The only complaint I have about the book is how there are a lot of unnecessary details thrown in, like how Sookie decides to clean her house or what clothes she's wearing. I really don't care what color shirt she is wearing, let me have some imagination as a reader instead of having to tell me every little detail. Other than that I like the suspense, the characters, and have a feeling I will definitely like the show!

I give the book 4.5/5 stars for entertainment value, 3/5 for writing style.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed reading it! I actually like those little details--I don't know why. I think this book is much better than Twillight...the writing included, but maybe I am being persuaded by other things like character development and plot and not so much by actual writing style. Or are those things included in writing style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know what is included in writing style, I think that has more to do with the use of metaphors, dialogue, etc. Character dev. and plot is something EVERY novel should have regardless of writing style in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete