Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Soft Place to Land

I've been really slacking with blog posts lately. No motivation for some reason! This work week was a killer and that probably had something to do with it.

Last weekend I finished another book, this one called A Soft Place to Land by Susan Rebecca White. It's about two sisters who go through a major traumatic event in their lives, which shakes the foundation of their relationship down to the core. It's also about how one's outlook and attitude can affect one's circumstances.

This book is mostly dialogue as it focuses on relationships one forms and loses during life. Usually books with a lot of dialogue can drive me crazy as I focus on how the author injects insignificant details like what a character is wearing or eating, when it has nothing to do with what is going on. In this book, however, the same details are added but in a subtle way to build your vision of the scene taking place, instead of being a distraction. In this way I thought the author did a great job with her writing.

Overall I think this book is in the Top 10 I have read so far this year and one I would recommend to the women in my life. Those with a sister, or just siblings in general, can really relate to the relationship dynamics of the two sisters in this book.

My rating: 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about an author putting in little descriptors. I hate hearing a profound statement followed by, "she said while wearing a beige jacket and red nail polish".

    ReplyDelete