Starting Monday, Paul and I will be eating 100% vegetarian for 30 days. So there is no confusion this means NO MEAT, which includes fish, as fish fillets, crab, clams, shrimp, and other seafood are all animal flesh. We will continue to eat eggs, cheese, and other dairy.
Here's a confession that most of you already have guessed if you're regular readers: I ate a strict vegetarian diet from April until December, but once Paul got here it became appealing and convenient to eat seafood as Paul is a total carnivore. With that being said, this challenge will be much harder on him than me.
Why subject Paul to this, you may ask. Well, I'm not! He helped come up with the idea after watching footage from a slaughterhouse on Oprah. This started a conversation of ethics with eating meat, especially when you don't know where it came from and how the animals were treated throughout their lives and in their death.
So in prep for this first week of vegetarianism, I made a meal plan of delicious satisfying meals for the entire week.
- Monday: Vegetarian Pot Pie
- Tuesday: Eggplant parmesan
- Wednesday: Spicy Malaysian-Style Stir Fried Noodles (courtesy of Cooking Light Vegetarian cookbook)
- Thursday: Vegetable Fajitas
- Friday: Eggplant veggie burgers + potato wedges
- Saturday: Date night
- Sunday: Homemade pizzas (courtesy of Jamie Oliver)